Re: Which Linux Distribution

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Which Linux Distribution
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001123 14:33] wrote:
> > * Timothy J Hitchens <tim@hitcho.com.au> [001123 13:35] wrote:
> > > That is 4 Million Queries per Second which is 14 Billion 400 Million per
> > > hour.

> > > This may sound a little big but this is what we will be launching on the 1st
> > > December 2000 using postgresql and php.

> > What platform is this going to be on?  You will not be able to do
> > 4 million queries per second with Postgresql on a PC platform.

> You do realize that even a 800Mhz Pentium that the math makes
> this practically impossible:

Then use Linux for S/390 and PostgreSQL on S/390.  Use big iron for big
iron tasks.

If he's really expecting this big of load (that would make such a
cluster qualify for one of the top slots on the TPC-C benchmarks,
incidentally!), then he should have enough money to buy a largish S/390
-- after all, the bandwidth to serve the pages of such a large number of
queries is going to be huge -- even America Online is only serving an
estimated 28 kilopages per second with their server farm.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio