Requests for Development

От Josh Berkus
Тема Requests for Development
Дата
Re: Requests for Development  (Jan Wieck <janwieck@Yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-sql
Tom, Bruce, Jan, etc.:
As a PGSQL developer and business customer, I wanted to make some
public requests as to the development path of PGSQL.  While, obviously,
you will develop the functionality *you* are interested in, I thought it
might be valuable to you to know what things would be most appreciated
(and please, list folks, speak up).

1. Please finish 7.1, stabilize it, and release it.  I am probably not
the only developer with an application that is waiting for the many
wonderful improvements Tom has added to 7.1, but I can't build a
commercial app off the CVS source tree.

The rest of these requests apply to 7.2:

2. Stored Procedure functionality, i.e. outputting a full recordset from
a function (or new structure, if functions are hard to adapt) based on
the last SELECT statement passed to the function.  An alternative would
be to develop parameterized views, which might be the easiest path.

3. Slightly more informative syntax error messages - frankly, just
grabbing a little more text around the word or punctuation that
triggered the error would be enormously helpful (I can't tell you the
number of times I've gotten "Error at or near ')'" in a huge DDL
statement.

4. Use of named in addition to ordinal variables in PL/PGSQL functions
(e.g. $account_type, $period instead of $1, $2).
Thanks so much for your ongoing hard work!
                    -Josh Berkus
--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small