Re: Returning Recordsets from Stored-procs

От Grant Finnemore
Тема Re: Returning Recordsets from Stored-procs
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Marc,

Marc Rohloff wrote:

> Is there anyway to return a recordset from a Stored Procedure in Postgres so that it can be used as a type of view or
select?

In short:-   No, there isn't.

More detail:-   PostgreSQL does not have stored procedures as such, it has user defined functions. The difference being
thata stored

procedure returns both a scalar value (the result), and optionally, one or more sets. (your recordset)
   Functions on the other hand, only return a scalar value. This has been slightly extended in PostgreSQL so that a
listof

values can be returned, but these have to be of the same type, and so are not a general replacement for a set.

Whilst this is an unfortunate position at the moment, it has been my experience that it does not cause insurmountable
problems.
(Some short term headaches - yes. ;-)

> I know that you can do this in Interbase or MS-SQL.
>
> I have seen that you can return a complete record but that's not really the same thing.
>
> Marc Rohloff

Regards,
Grant

--
> Poorly planned software requires a genius to write it
> and a hero to use it.

Grant Finnemore BSc(Eng)  (mailto:gaf@ucs.co.za)
Software Engineer         Universal Computer Services
Tel  (+27)(11)712-1366    PO Box 31266 Braamfontein 2017, South Africa
Cell (+27)(82)604-5536    20th Floor, 209 Smit St., Braamfontein
Fax  (+27)(11)339-3421    Johannesburg, South Africa

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: