Re: index not used for bigint without explicit cast

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: index not used for bigint without explicit cast
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 01:43:43PM -0800, Sam.Mesh wrote:
>> Could you please double check the following reasoning based on
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/btree-behavior.html?
>> - Index search by bigint column requires conversion of limiting
>> expressions to bigint type.
>> - Conversion from number(19,0) to bigint may cause overflow.
>> - So, index search is not possible.

> Essentially, yes.  This is a query planner limitation, not a fundamental
> property of the search problem.  "bigintcol = '5.1'::numeric" is equivalent to
> "bigintcol <> bigintcol" or "CASE WHEN bigintcol IS NULL THEN NULL ELSE false
> END".  In contexts that don't distinguish "false" from NULL, it's equivalent
> to constant "false".  Those observations apply to any search value such that
> 'search_value'::numeric::bigint::numeric <> 'search_value'::numeric does not
> return true, including overflow-error cases.  Like many datatype-specific
> tricks, the planner isn't aware at this time.

Hmm ... I don't think the planner would be the place to try to change
this.  The fundamental thing to do if you wanted to improve this case
would be to invent the "bigint = numeric" operator (and its whole
family, such as "numeric = bigint", "bigint < numeric", "smallint <
numeric", etc etc) and make those part of the integer_ops opfamily.
Which'd probably lead to merging integer_ops and numeric_ops into
a single opfamily.

As far as I can think at the moment, there are not any insurmountable
semantic obstacles to doing that.  There are good reasons not to try
to merge integer and float opfamilies, namely that transitivity of
equality would fail because of inexact conversions; but I can't see
how that would occur between integer-family types and numeric, with
all of those being exact types.

Nonetheless, I'm not eager to try to do it.  The practical hazards
are at least two: integer vs. numeric comparison operators will be
unpleasantly slow, and adding dozens more identically-named operators
will increase the risks of getting "ambiguous operator" errors in the
parser.

In the end I'd ask why is this a problem.  If you converted your
tables from Oracle-ish number(19,0) to bigint, and did not convert
your application to use bigint instead of number(19,0), that sounds
like self-inflicted damage.  Do both or neither.