Re: ODBC

От Richard Broersma
Тема Re: ODBC
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Marc Fromm <Marc.Fromm@wwu.edu> wrote:
> Some of our users use an ODBC connection between MS Access and an Oracle
> database to work with the data.
> Access however has a 255 field/column limit, which the Oracle Db has now
> execeded.

I am not sure what kind of data model would require 255 columns, but
if there is not in fact de-normalization occurring here and you really
do need > 255 columns in your tables there is a way to make this work
in access.

You can create multiple bound table(sort of like a vertically
partitioned view).  In each bound table in access only include the
primary key and a subset of the columns.  Of Course this will probably
complicate your application design.

I don't believe that you can bind oracle table to postgresql.  There
is a module dbi-link that is similar to what you want to do.  This
page might give you some ideas about what is available:

http://pgfoundry.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=dbi+link

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.