7.0.1 Problems.

От Lamar Owen
Тема 7.0.1 Problems.
Дата
Re: 7.0.1 Problems.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Well, in attempting to build RPMs for 7.0.1, I have unearthed a 26
megabyte problem.  26 megabytes is the difference in the size of an
unpacked 7.0.1 source tree versus 7.0.  7.0.1 is 26 MB _smaller_.
What's missing?

A diff of a du on each tree shows that the unpacked docs are missing in
7.0.1.  This causes a make all in the doc tree to fail (which was
reported earlier this week on-list) -- which make all is required by the
RPMs for the documentation build.  However, that is only 7 MB of the 26
missing MB.

So, I do a diff of find -print on each tree..... I also do a wc.  The wc
results are revealing -- 7.0's tree has 4,172 files.  7.0.1's tree has
2,562 files.  Hmmm.... The PostScript docs are missing in 7.0.1, guys.
Except for internals.ps, that is.

Hmmm... Where is the rest of the space?  Well, there are some *.o and
*.so files laying around in the 7.0 tree.  No, I haven't done a build
here -- but, there is a complete build here -- or, it _looks_ like a
complete build. 7.0.1 doesn't have any *.o's -- which is good!

So, the *.o and *.so's (refint.so and autoinc.so) account for the
majority of the missing 26MB.  But, the docs are still missing...and I
see no note about docs in HISTORY, so I'm assuming that them being
missing is not intentional.

I may have to make a patch from 7.0 to 7.0.1 for the non-doc portion,
and patch a 7.0 tree (minus the *.o's), and generate a tree to put into
any 7.0.1 RPMs I might generate.  Until then (or 7.0.1-and-a-half is
released), there will be no new RPMs, as I really don't have any
intention of building doc-less RPMs.... :-(.

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, Marc.  I should have followed through
on my hunch that I should build RPMs during the prerelease period, after
you announced here that the 7.0.1 release candidate was available --
regrettably, I did not do that build.  RPM-building will show problems
other builds won't.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio