Re: table size limit under Linux

От Chris Albertson
Тема Re: table size limit under Linux
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Norbert Meissner wrote:

> > > How do you go beyond 2gigs on a single file on ext2fs (like
> > > the major linux distributions delivering) ? magic?
> >
> > Split the files into 1 gig segments.
> >

> Excuse my dumb questions, but is this a capability of linux or postgresql ?
> Can you point me to a location where i can read more ?

In Postgresql this is done inside the storage manager.  The code is
acrually quite simple amd not hard to read.

The limit now is the OID.  This is a 32-bit integer and OIDs are
unique within a database not just a table. (Someone please correct me
if I am wrong) So you can have only 4 giga-rows in a database.  Our
project may bump into this limit in a few years but by then maybe
Postgresql will allow 64 bit OIDs

--
  Chris Albertson

  calbertson@logicon.com                  Voice: 626-351-0089  x17
  Logicon, Pasadena California            Fax:   626-351-0699