Re: [GENERAL] ERROR: cannot read block 1452 from data (HELP!!!! I'MDESPERATE!)

От
Тема Re: [GENERAL] ERROR: cannot read block 1452 from data (HELP!!!! I'MDESPERATE!)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi there!

Well, I've fixed the problem now ... I read a lot in the mailingslists
around VACUUM things and I got some ideas ...

Since the datafiles are build up by 8KB blocks I wanted to calculate
how many blocks it contained.  The filesize was 11.901.952 bytes ...
divided by 8192 (8KB) I got 1452,875 blocks ... Knowing this, I guessed
that the block count began at 1 (one) since it complained about block
1453.  Doing 1452,875/1453 ~~ 1 ==> Ok, then I was missing 1/8 in the
last block, and 1/8 of a block is 1KB.

The solution to try was simple:

alpha-centauri> dd bs=1024 count=1 >> data

I did a VACUUM ANALYZE on the table and it said it found some
uninitialized pages in the table, and it worked again.

I don't believe that I missed any data, because the total count seems
to what I estimated, maybe some records - but hey!  I can handle a loss
of 100 records when I saved almost 9000.

The only thing that I don't know is if the file was supposed to be
larger, more than 1453 bloks ...

Before I did this dd thing I tried

  #>SELECT * INTO TABLE restored FROM DATA LIMIT xxx

and I found a 'xxx' value where it began to complain about block
1453 ... and after doing a VACUUM ANALYZE on both the restored table
and the data table, I registered that the filesize was identical.

I also used a lot of time to analyze the restored data (with the dd
command) and I couldn't find any corrupted fields in the records.

But we're setting up a new production server (it's not ready yet, but
will be soon) and that one's running v7.0.1 at the moment, but I'll
upgrade it before I'll put it in action.

The problem with upgrading from v6.5.x to v7.x.x is that the v7.x.x
don't handle datetime functions with fields "containing" null.  So we
had to create our own datetime convertion variant to support this.

David S.
dazo@netcom.no

(Able to sleep at night at least!)