Re: Rename or Removing Postgres user

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Rename or Removing Postgres user
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Devendra Yadav wrote:
> I want to know if I rename 'postgres' user to 'someuser' retaining it's privileges i.e superuser and other
privileges.

> Or what if I drop the 'postgres' user and create a new superuser. I tried dropping Postgres user but it says "cannot
droprole postgres because it is required by the database system".

> So my concern is what happens if I rename it. As far as I can check there's no impact, but in case anyone has faced
issuesregarding this, please suggest.

You can rename the user without any problems.
Internally, only the object ID of the role is used,
the name is just an entry in "pg_authid".

Resources outside the database proper, for example
configuration files like "pg_hba.conf", will have to
be adapted.

You cannot drop the "postgres" user, however.

You say further downthread that you want to do this
for security reasons.  Keep in mind that this is the lowest
form of security: "security by obscurity".

For better security, make sure that the superuser can
only log in from the database machine itself, and that
only administrators get shell access there.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Devendra Yadav
Сообщение: Re: Rename or Removing Postgres user
От: Tim Cross
Сообщение: Re: Rename or Removing Postgres user