More ?'s Lightweight front end

От leshan@ugsolutions.com
Тема More ?'s Lightweight front end
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
We are have the same type of question:
1) to remotely access a postgresql database using perl, do we need to
insall
postgresql or the pgsql frontend on the remote machine?  or can we just
stuff the libpq files in an include directory somewhere?

2) it seems that libpq is all header files.  What code (.c) files need
to be compiled to use libpq?

3) what are the reasons not to install postgresql on the remote system
just to use the front end? (besides filling up disk space)

Thanks.

J. Leshan
leshan@ugsolutions.com

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Jeff Foster wrote:

>  1) Is there a way to install and build just the libpq stuff ?

I think there is no problem. You just have to compile the suorces

>  2) Is the libpq file and required header available on the Web ?

get the .tgz 's

The last version i downloaded, it was the 6.3.2, and until that moment i

found the sources.... PostgreSQL is still being an open source DBMS...
isn't it ???  ( i hadn't read the messages for a long time  )

>  3) Is there a better way to create the client program;  should I use
> different interface ?

I preffer using perl with DBD/DBI... i think it's easier to program the
clients with it.

> Jeff Foster
> jfoste@woodward.com

David Martinez Cuevas
     Home 565-25-17          "Eat Linux, Drink Linux...  SMOKE LINUX "