Re: Starting a new project, any opinions about using 7.0?

От Ron Peterson
Тема Re: Starting a new project, any opinions about using 7.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Michael S. Kelly" wrote:

> I'm starting a new project.  We've selected PostgreSQL and I'm wondering if
> we shouldn't just jump in with 7.0 and avoid conversion hassles later on.

Yes.

I haven't seen any discussions on this list since 7.0beta1 was released
that would indicate you should be concerned about it's stability.  Quite
the contrary - there have been a number of discussions which concluded
by saying something like "...why don't you just try upgrading to
7.0betaX and maybe your problems will go away."  At which point the
discussion usually ceased.

Also, by the time your project, whatever it is, is really underway, I
think you can expect to see the final release of 7.0.

Don't forget that one of the contributions you can make to the
PostgreSQL effort is to provide feedback.  Of course feedback on the
current product is more useful than feedback on past versions.

The features you mention are significant additions to PostgreSQL's
capabilities.  I'm particularly grateful for the addition of referential
integrity constraints.

Ron Peterson
rpeterson@yellowbank.com