Fixing db after missing index

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Fixing db after missing index
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

Yesterday I needed to do a big update to one of our databases, and as I always
do
with big updates, I first deleted the indices for the main table (it's faster
this
way). However, one index failed to delete cos the disk file was gone. Dunno
what happened, but I suppose I brought that one on myself.

Anyway, instead of being smart and doing 'touch index_file', I decided to mess
around
in the system tables. So I deleted that index from pg_class and pg_index. This
helped, I could use the table again (it had become unusable), and recreated
the indices.

Despite it working correctly now, I still get a message relating to the old
index when I do a vacuum. The first time I got an error message, before I
messed around with pg_class and pg_index, the message included an oid number,
which I have written down. I searched tru the other system tables, and foung
one other reference to that number, in pg_attribute. Should I delete that row
too? More generally, which tables reference an index?

Maarten

--

Maarten Boekhold, maarten.boekhold@tibcofinance.com
TIBCO Finance Technology Inc.