Re: granting permission to groups?

От Frank P. Miles
Тема Re: granting permission to groups?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Frank Miles writes:
>
> > I've been having problems trying to give permissions to groups, using
> > the Debian-packaged Postgresql 6.5.3.
> >
> > So far my search has turned up some old messages indicating that this
> > was broken in earlier versions of Postgresql.
> >
> > Can someone tell me whether this is the case with this version?  What
> > about 7.0?
>
> 7.0 adds CREATE/ALTER/DROP GROUP commands but whether that helps depends
> on what "broken" refers to.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders väg 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Sorry for my lack of specificity.  Using the syntax in the 'GRANT'
section
of the Postgresql manual, I inserted a group into pg_group, then created
users within that group, then granted SELECT permissions for the group.
There were no error messages; these steps appeared to work properly.
Unfortunately, users are still unable to do SELECTs, though they are
able
to do a 'psql database-name', and list the tables.

Is 7.0 necessary to get groups to work?  Or might I be missing something
else?  I didn't find where/which system table contained group/database
permissions, so could not confirm some of the aspects of the
configuration.

Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.

    -frank