Re: [HACKERS] Date/time types: big changeu

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Date/time types: big changeu
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I do, however, suggest that the backend env var needs to be documented
> more prominently than it is now.

Hmm, I thought it was in the Admin Guide, but in fact it shows up only
in the Data Types chapter and in the release notes. Should be added to
runtime.sgml just before (?) "Starting postmaster".

> One might also ask why its set of
> allowed values is inconsistent with the SET command's (probably
> postgres.c ought to just call a routine in variable.c, rather than
> having its own parsing code)?

I'm vaguely recalling that there was a "chicken and egg" problem with
the backend firing up... Ah, in fact I think (still from my sometimes
faulty memory) that it had to do with whether the Postgres memory
management stuff (palloc et al) was available at the time postgres.c
needed to make the call.

Feel free to review it though and make sweeping or small changes.
                 - Thomas

South Pasadena, California