Re: AW: [HACKERS] Another nasty cache problem

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: AW: [HACKERS] Another nasty cache problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > Chris Bitmead <chrisb@nimrod.itg.telstra.com.au> writes:
> > > What about portals? Doesn't psql use portals?
> >
> > No ... portals are a backend concept ...
> >

> I think the previous frontend "monitor" did use a portal for the
> selects. The so called "blank portal".

Is'nt the "blank portal" the name of the cursor you get when you just
do a select without creating a cursor ?

> I don't really see any advantage, that psql does not do a fetch loop
> with a portal.

It only increases traffic, as explicit fetch commands need to be sent
to backend. If one does not declare a cursor, an implicit fetch all from
blank is performed.

> Is it possible in psql do do any "fetch" stuff, after doing a
> select * from table ?

only if in a declared cursor, and you can only declare cursor if in a
transaction.

Hannu