Re: [HACKERS] Questions on 7.0 for RPM building

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Questions on 7.0 for RPM building
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> 1.) What's the deal with the man pages now?  In 6.5.x, src/man contained
> the man pages. (Then, in the 6.5.2 RPM's and later, an extra tarball of
> updated man pages was added on top of the existing ones).  In 7.0, they are
> in doc/man.tar.gz -- however, there are many that are no longer there,
> unless I have overlooked them.

*All* information in the old man pages appears somewhere in the new
html/ps docs. And the reference pages for the new docs are translated
into the new man tarball. We can try to track down specific cases (I
*might* have missed a file or two) but in general if you see something
missing it probably means we don't have a reference page for it.

> Furthermore, while the command names destroy* have been
> changed to drop*, the man pages haven't changed.

Right. They will need to be regenerated for the 7.0 release, and
haven't been done so far. You *should* get at least a few days to play
with a beta tarball that has these updated.

>  Also, the man3 section has disappeared.

afaik those pages were not really appropriate for reference pages, or
they do not yet appear in reference pages (library API docs, right?).
They have their own chapter(s) in the docs, but may not be reference
pages yet.

> 2.)     Missing man pages that I have found (lost??) thus far:
>         pg_ctl (being worked on, AFAIK)
>         ecpg.1
>         pg_passwd.1
>         pg_encoding.1
>         pg_hba.conf.5

Probably so. If they don't make sense as a "reference page" style of
doc in the main docs, then imho they don't make sense as man pages.
But each should be handled on a case by case basis.
                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California