Re: Backup is too slow

От Spiegelberg, Greg
Тема Re: Backup is too slow
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
CPU may be thottled because it's performing the backup, gzip and split
all at once.  May I suggest this.

  /home/postgres/postgresql/bin/pg_dump -h <hostname> --compress=9 -f
dumpfile.gz $1
  split --bytes 500m dumpfile.gz dumpfile.gz.

If that takes too long or clobbers the system...

  /home/postgres/postgresql/bin/pg_dump -h <hostname> -f dumpfile $1
  gzip -9  dumpfile.gz
  split --bytes 500m dumpfile.gz dumpfile.gz.

Another variation may be the same as above except scp/rcp/ftp the
uncompressed dump to another idle server that performs the compress
and split for you.

One last way is to take a filesystem snapshot if your filesystem
permits it.  Since postgres stops/starts so nicely, we offline ours
when it's idle and just long enough to execute the filesystem snapshot
then bring it back online immediately after.  I suppose you could, in
theory, wait till idle and request a lock on all necessary tables,
perform a checkpoint, filesystem snapshot, then release the locks.
I'm sure Tom, Josh or someone more in the know would have imput for
this option.

Greg