Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: Re: First Major Open Source Database]

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: Re: First Major Open Source Database]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" wrote:

> Thus spake Lamar Owen
> > [Ok, I've been in touch with the author of the 'First Major Open Source
> > Database' article.  Here's what he wants to do.  Let me know what you
> > think, and correct any misinformation I may have fed him.]
> >  [...]
> > - University Ingres, developed starting in 1977, qualifies for the
> > 'First Major Open Source Database' honor. Ingres is the direct
> > ancestor of PostgreSQL.
>
> Not that it is so important but I think that Postgres was a different
> project by the same person (Dr. Micheal Stonebraker) so it is probably
> more accurate to call them siblings.

AFAIK it was a different project that built heavily on Ingres (and Postgres's
query language PostQUEL was an extended version of (University)Ingres' QUEL.

Both were later commercially extended
+ -UniversityIngres(with QUEL) --> Ingres(withSQL)|\- Postgres(PostQuel) -+-> Illustra(SQL) -> InformixUDB(SQL)
             \-> Postgres95(SQL) -> PostgreSQL(SQL)

So I think that Ancestor is more accurate than Sibling.

Hannu