Index toasting (was: Re: [HACKERS] Error "vacuum pg_proc")

От Jan Wieck
Тема Index toasting (was: Re: [HACKERS] Error "vacuum pg_proc")
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> I wrote:
> > And that'll still crash and burn for multicolumn indexes.
>
> Not to mention functional indexes, which typically store values that
> don't appear in the referenced tuple at all.
>
> Basically, indexes have to have their own toasters.  There's no other
> way.
    You're right.
    I think it's best to delay index toasting until we have some    experience with normal, main tuple attribute
toasting.It'd be    nice if the solution had covered huge values to be indexed    automatically (what it doesn't any
more).But I think most    people can live with a database, that cannot index huge    values, but is capable to store
andretrieve them for now.

Jan