Re: [HACKERS] Volunteer: Large Tuples / Tuple chaining

От Christof Petig
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Volunteer: Large Tuples / Tuple chaining
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Will you put a long tuple into a long logical page(continued multiple
> phisical(?) pages) ?
> I'm suspicious about the way that allows non-page-formatted page.
>
> Anyway it would need a big change around bufmgr/smgr etc.
> Could someone estimate the influence/danger before going forward ?

I planned to use as many of PostgreSQL data structures unaltered as
possible. Storing one Tuple in multiple Items should not pose too much
danger on bufmgr and smgr unless they access tuple internals. (I didn't
check that yet). This would mean that on disk Items do no longer
correspond to Tuples. (Some of them might form one tuple).

I dropped the plan of Unformatted pages very soon. But the issue of
tuple in-memory-storage remains (I don't know the internals of
allocating/freeing, yet).

Christof