Re: [HACKERS] perl-DBD-Pg (was Re: BOUNCE pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org: Non-member submission from[Joe Brenner ] (fwd))

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] perl-DBD-Pg (was Re: BOUNCE pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org: Non-member submission from[Joe Brenner ] (fwd))
Дата
Ответ на Re: [HACKERS] perl-DBD-Pg (was Re: BOUNCE pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org: Non-member submission from[Joe Brenner ] (fwd))  (Joe Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu>)
Ответы Re: [HACKERS] perl-DBD-Pg (was Re: BOUNCE pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org: Non-member submission from[Joe Brenner ] (fwd))  (Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Brenner wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> wrote:
> > Thank you Ian for the clarification.  HOWEVER, this does not show up on
> > the rpmfind.net web toold under powertools -- yet is there under the
> > rufus.w3.org mirror (they're the same machine, of course).
>
> Yes, from one point of view, I guess that's the root of the
> problem I was having.  All the ways I could think of
> searching for an RPM (rpmfind, google, etc.) turned up
> nothing later that the 0.91-1 version.

This is something that the rpmfind.net maintainer needs to know about.
So, I've cc:'d him (Daniel Veillard).  Daniel, the problem is that the
CPAN archive under the redhat powertools is not indexed or searched
under rpmfind.net's RPM database.  This has caused some confusion
relating to the perl-DBD-Pg RPM package, which is in the CPAN part of
powertools.

>   perl-DBD-Pg-0.91-2.i386.rpm
>
> And now my CGI scripts are functional again.
>
> I would hope that at some point in the future, the DBI/DBD
> components will be folded into the postgresql-perl RPM (say,
> by the time that it finally makes it to version 1.0?).  The
> use of the older Pg.pm is now strongly discouraged, and the
> DBI interface is already much better documented (e.g. in
> _The Perl Cookbook_ and _Advanced Perl Programming_).

Ok, Thomas, Vince, Bruce and other PostgreSQL hackers -- what do you
think about that suggestion?  It seems that our native perl interface
(which is shipped with both the tarball and RPM's) is deprecated out in
the perl world.   The DBI component is not PostgreSQL-specific, so it
probably shouldn't ship with the main RPM set.  Comments?

> In any case, thanks much for everyone's help.  Sorry for
> taking this up on the "pgsql-hackers" list. I will now go
> and spread the wisdom on redhat-talk, linux.postgres, and
> comp.lang.perl.modules, where no one seems to have had a
> clue about this.

Where is 'linux.postgres', and how do I subscribe??

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio