Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions

От Jaco de Groot
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mike Mascari wrote:

> >From an otherwise EXTREMELY happy user :-) (full smile...),  I see 3
> scenarios:
>
> (1) Disallow DDL statements in transactions
> (2) Send NOTICE's asking for the user to not trigger the bug until the bugs
> can be fixed -or-
> (3) Have all DDL statements implicity commit any running transactions.

I think 1 is the best solution as long as there are bugs concerning DDL
statements in transactions. It will prevent people from getting in
trouble. I've been in this trouble for months :-(. I'm using Java
Servlets to connect to PostgreSQL and I'm having DDL statements whitin
transactions wich sometimes cause an error. This error is hard to find
and solve if you don't know PostgreSQL has problems with DDL statements
in transactions. And if the error occures it doesn't simply crash 1
transaction or connection but it crashes all connections wich prevents
my website from running correctly until I've manualy fixed the problem
(mostly restarting PostgreSQL). To prevent others from getting in the
same trouble I'd like to propose that the next release of PosgreSQL
will dissalow DDL statements in transactions and notice the user this
is a feature wich is currently in development.

Jaco de Groot