Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] drop/rename table and transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mike Mascari wrote:
>> This is one of the few areas that I disagree with the development
>> trend in PostgreSQL. Every release contains different bugs related to
>> DDL statements in transactions. The developers appear to want to make
>> them work (i.e., have the ability to rollback a DROP TABLE, ALTER
>> TABLE ADD COLUMN, etc.). This, in my opinion, goes far above and
>> beyond the call of duty for a RDBMS. Oracle issues an implicit COMMIT
>> whenever a DDL statement is found.

So, the limits of our ambition should be to be as good as Oracle?
(Only one-half :-) here.)

I've seen quite a few discussions on the mailing lists about
applications that could really use rollback-able DDL commands.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't give up any reliability for this,
and darn little performance; but within those constraints I think
we should do what we can.