Re: [GENERAL] Table names case sensitive?

От Stephen Birch
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Table names case sensitive?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
We have started porting our application suite away from Interbase and over
to PostgreSQL.  Our main concern with Interbase was not money, but the
inconvenience of dealing with user licenses.  A great deal of our database
interaction is machine to machine and does not fit the standard model of
users.

Porting our customers' data was fairly easy once we understood why the
initial attempts were failing.  To facilitate the conversion, we created a
temporary modification to the PostgreSQL back end which strips out the
problem quotes.  Then the conversion using Borland's data pump ran like a
champ.  Ok - it isn't fast, but speed is not an issue for us.  Rather, we
want to be able to convert data with the least amount of [human] effort.
Our plan is to keep using Interbase until all of our applications are
ported, grabbing updates periodically. Finally, we will do a last
conversion and shut down Interbase - and kiss irritating license files
good-bye forever.

Converting our Win32 front end (built with BCB4 C/S) from IB to PG only
took a couple of days.  We snapped the PG ODBC driver in place on the NT
box, fired up the Linux/PG postmaster with -d 3 and then corrected minor
incompatibilities as they popped up.

From the little experience we have with PG so far, it looks damn good.
Gone are the black-box GUIs of windows, to be replaced with super cool psql
- which we love (far more than isql).  The PG man pages and on-line help
are also fantastic.

We are looking forward to the day when we can pull the plug from our last
Windows machine and the repercussions of our terrible decision to trust NT
will finally come to and end.  As a digression - I will never, ever forget
the disbelief on our programmers faces when they realized that the
Microsoft "flagship server" we had just committed to (NT) really did not
include the basic services such as telnetd, nfsd, or UUCP.  What a joke.

I just wish PostgreSQL had foreign keys (referential integ) - oh well, real
soon now!

Steve

PS What sort of problems did you have with IB - we only had one (growing
log files) and have a solution to that.  From every other respect IB has
served us well.  In fact, if Interbase hadn't broken user SuSE 6.2, we may
have stuck with it.