Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II
Дата
Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II  ("Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@hotmail.com>)
Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-patches
> This is part of the SQL standard.

[ shrug ] There is a *boatload* of new stuff in SQL2003, most of which
we probably won't ever implement.  The foundation alone has enough new
cruft to keep us busy for years ... never mind stuff that shows up only
in Part 14.

Basically, SQL2003 is way too big for the argument "it's in the spec"
to be an automatic trump card for putting features into core PG.
We have to think about distribution size and maintainability versus
the usefulness of specific features.

If there were a serious amount of demand for the SQL2003 XML features
then I wouldn't be averse to putting them in, but right now it looks
like bloat with little redeeming social value.  Who other than the
submitter has asked for this?  I don't even see "XML" listed in TODO.