Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > This is part of the SQL standard.
>
> [ shrug ] There is a *boatload* of new stuff in SQL2003, most of which
> we probably won't ever implement.  The foundation alone has enough new
> cruft to keep us busy for years ... never mind stuff that shows up only
> in Part 14.
>
> Basically, SQL2003 is way too big for the argument "it's in the spec"
> to be an automatic trump card for putting features into core PG.
> We have to think about distribution size and maintainability versus
> the usefulness of specific features.
>
> If there were a serious amount of demand for the SQL2003 XML features
> then I wouldn't be averse to putting them in, but right now it looks
> like bloat with little redeeming social value.  Who other than the
> submitter has asked for this?  I don't even see "XML" listed in TODO.

Well, we have been pushing XML out of the database into side projects,
which I think is the way to go until we have an XML-standard export
format.  With this one, I don't see how we can do it externally and meet
the spec.  I would like to see an outline of what XML things we support
and what we don't.  Is this XML patch a major missing thing?  No idea.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us