Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Update of bitmask type

От José Soares
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Update of bitmask type
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Adriaan Joubert ha scritto:

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > Adriaan Joubert wrote:
> > >
> > > b) seems to imply, rather bizarrely in my opinion, that
> > >
> > >         B'001100' < B'10'
> > >
> > Maybe you start counting from the wrong end ?
> >
> > Just use them as you use char()
> >
> > 'AABBAA' < 'BA'
> >
> > Does it say something in the standard about direction,
> > is it left-> right or right->left ?
>
> No, not that I could find. But in the above example B'001100' < B'10'
> whichever end you start counting from, as 1>0. I have no particularly
> strong opinion on which way round it should be done -- perhaps we should
> just try to be consistent with other databases? Could somebody who has
> access to Oracle or Sybase please do a few tests and let me know?

Oracle doesn't have this data type neither Informix. I think it is hard to
find this data type in any database.
I found this feature in the OCELOT database
You can download it from:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/OCELOTSQL/
As they say:
"Ocelot makes the only Database Management System (DBMS) that supports the
full ANSI / ISO
SQL Standard (1992), and an always-growing checklist of SQL3 features (also
known as SQL-99)."

A second problem I encountered last night is that the postgres variable