Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Update of bitmask type

От Adriaan Joubert
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [GENERAL] Update of bitmask type
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Can I get comments on this?  Is a bit type something we want installed
> > by default, or in contrib?  Seems to me it should be in the main tree.
>
> first...what is a bitmask type? :)

In this case just a single byte in which you can store states quite
easily. It supports the C-style bit operations & (and) ,| (or, couldn't
get it defined as a single bar though, because the parser didn't like
it) ,^ (xor),! (not). For some applications it is just easier to check
whether certain bits are set/not set.

If somebody tells me what needs doing, I could try to get it all into a
more usable format. And I have no clue what SQL3 says about bit-types
(varying bits or something or other?) At the moment it is just a single
byte, and perhaps it needs extension to 2 byte, 4-byte types.

Adriaan