Re: [HACKERS] PG_UPGRADE status

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG_UPGRADE status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> At the end of pg_upgrade, there are the lines:
>
>         mv -f $OLDDIR/pg_log data
>         mv -f $OLDDIR/pg_variable data
>
>         echo "You may remove the $OLDDIR directory with 'rm -r $OLDDIR'."
>         exit 0
>
> This is used to get the proper transaction status into the new
> installation.  Is the VACUUM added to pg_upgrade necessary?

You know, up until this message I had the mistaken impression that
pg_upgrade was a C program...  Boy was I wrong.  And no wonder it's
hairy. I should have read the source first -- but nooo, I couldn't do
that.  Open mouth, insert foot.

I _am_ contemplating a C version that would do far more than just
upgrades. I'm thinking of a pg_repair utility that could rebuild and
repair the on-disk structures.  It would also facilitate database
recovery after a crash -- might be a real bear to do right.  Comments?

Lamar Owen