Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages  ("Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk>)
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ANNOUNCE] New man pages  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Oh, I get it.  Can everyone handle multi-character man sections?

That is how, for example, the X system does their man pages. There are
sections "1x", etc. Except that now that I look on my RH linux system
they are squirreled away in /usr/X11/man/man1/, etc so I must have
seen that on another system. Perhaps my old Alpha boxes??

> I would like to use existing sections, rather than do our own.  I found
> I had to modify the man page search to look in a manl, and others may
> have the same problem.

Yes, that is a consideration. It is easy to automate adding a new
section (like "1sql" or "1p" or ??) for packages, but is something the
admin needs to remember to do on a from-source installation.

otoh, it does eliminate the possibility of man page pollution if we
manage to have the same man page name as some other existing page.
*That* would be a bad thing. And in general adding ~75 man pages to
existing sections is a pretty big load...
                  - Thomas

South Pasadena, California