Re: [HACKERS] plperl intial pass

От Mark Hollomon
Тема Re: [HACKERS] plperl intial pass
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:

> Mark Hollomon wrote:
>

> > It is not 'safe'.
> >
> > Perl XS modules cannot be used.
>
>     What's  an  XS  module?  If  it's a shared object dynamically
>     linked - don't care too much - PL/Tcl cannot either.

Correct. The problem is that the Opcode module, which allows you to
disable features of the compiler (to close security holes) is an
XS module. In theory, it is possible to do without Opcode, but
doing so would create a very heavy perl version dependency in plperl.

So, I have to get XS stuff working in order to disallow XS stuff.
sigh.

And plperl can never be trusted until I can forbid writing to the
filesystem.

> > Using Perl in rules hasn't even been thought about.
>
>     If a function works from a query, the same function must work
>     too in a rule because the rewriter only mangles up parsetrees
>     so when executing, they are invoked from a query. Or did  you
>     mean triggers?

Ick. Correct. I meant triggers.

--

Mark Hollomon