Re: [HACKERS] Contributing

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Contributing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > AFAIK, the main advantage of CVSup is that you have a complete copy of
> > > the CVS archive on your own machine, which means you can examine cvs
> > > commit log messages, pull old versions, and so forth without having
> > > to contact hub.org.  If you just use "cvs update" periodically then
> > > you only have the current sources, and have to use remote cvs to do
> > > things like checking log messages.
> >
> > The other principle advantage to CVSup is its efficiency in bringing
> > over updates. It is very fast and really minimizes the bandwidth.
>
> Is this less then when using the -z option for CVS?

I believe so. I'm just guessing at CVS's behavior, but I *know* that
CVSup only sends compressed diffs of the changes to update a cvs
repository or a checked-out tree. afaik CVS sends the entire file,
compressing it for transmission much as does CVSup.

> > Or find that hub.org disappears occasionally, or...
> We think we just licked that problem...

Not entirely, unless you can guarantee uptime on Internet routing. I
see outages on occasion which I don't think are local to hub.org.
That's no news to anyone, but it does seem relevant when discussing
the merits of local vs remote repositories.
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California