Re: [GENERAL] Joins and links

От David Warnock
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Joins and links
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Leon,

I agree that the static CLUSTER that Postgresql currently supports will
not help you much. When I suggested looking for a CLUSTER type feature I
only knew of dynamic clustering that removed the need for an index.

The discussion is not going anywhere as static clustering will not help
you and dynamic clustering is not about to be added.

If you are interested in other solutions that do not involve adding
record number support (which I personally still feel to be a mistake in
a set orientated dbms) then have you considered an application server
linked to triggers.

For some applications is is mposible for an application server to
maintain the latest reports on-line, recalculating as required by a
trigger notifying it of relevant changes.
Then reporting comes instantly from the app server.

If there are a large number of different reports or the reports have a
lot of selections and options this may not be possible (but a half way
house might still be by using a slightly flattened table structure for
reporting).

Regards

Dave

--
David Warnock
Sundayta Ltd

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Joins and links
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Joins and links