Re: Postgresql 6.5-1 rpms on RedHat 6.0

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: Postgresql 6.5-1 rpms on RedHat 6.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(back on list)

> The RPMS I snarfed from ftp.postgresql.org Friday installed cleanly on
> RedHat 6.  HOWEVER, I attempted an rpm --rebuild on the SRPM, and it did
> not rebuild.  I'll get more detailed error messages for you later --
> right now, I'm going to hammer on 6.5 on RedHat 6.0 for awhile as
> packaged.

OK. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I usually do an
"install" of the source rpm, and then build from there. Something like
 $ rpm -ivv postgresql-6.5.src.rpm $ cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS $ rpm -ba postgresql.spec

> I think the error is an rpm bug, but I'mm not sure -- it chokes after
> doing its chgrp -Rf over the build tree -- however, if I execute the RPM
> temp file manually, it works -- this is the %prep section.  I'll let you
> know what I find.  This is rpm 3.0.1.
> I installed the tcl client, and the pgaccess program ran smoothly.  The
> AOLserver client also ran smoothly.
> So, the binaries you built on 5.2 work fine on my RH 6.0 box -- that has
> the compat-libs installed (glibc-2.0.7).  You may want to get feedback
> from someone without the compat-libs installed -- or get the $1.99
> RedHat 6.0 CD from Cheapbytes.... (www.cheapbytes.com) and try it
> yourself.

I've got the 6.0 CD, since we are putting it on a few machines at
work. I'll probably try upgrading my machine at home first, since we
have one or two commercial apps (Allegro Lisp for one) which may or
may not have trouble with the new kernel.

So, shall we declare these RPMs to be an initial release? RedHat is
interested in doing a maintenance release of Postgres, especially if
the alpha port will build. Presumably they will pound out the RH6.0
and rpm issues, but if anyone else would like to try it first it can
only help. Can someone remind me if the alpha stuff is working on
Linux? My vague recollection is that it works if compiled with "-O0"
(no optimization); can someone confirm this?
                      - Thomas

South Pasadena, California