Re: index keeps on growing

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: index keeps on growing
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Brian McCane <bmccane@mccons.net> writes:
> The perl script will allow you to rebuild your indexes (indices?) without
> having to kick out all of your users.  It reclaims all of the "holes" in
> the index files.  It does NOT preserve the "primary key" setting for an
> index, because as far as I can tell this doesn't actually make any
> difference, primary keys are just an UNIQUE index.

The primary-key marker does actually make a difference in just one case
(AFAIK): when you create a foreign key reference from another table,
the primary key serves to identify the default columns to reference.
If you drop the marker then subsequent attempts to create referencing
columns will have to explicitly identify the referenced columns.