Re: PCTFree Results

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: PCTFree Results
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Seems like this was to be somewhat expected.  Was there any stats/diagnostics included in the patch to show the effectiveness of PCTFREE?

On 9/22/05, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Folks,

Well, it took a while but I finally have the results of Satoshi's PCTFree
patch back from the STP.  Bad news about the STP, see below ...

Anyway, a series of DBT2 runs doesn't seem to show any advantage to PCTFree
over a 3-hour run with no vacuums:

test#   pctfree full_page_writes        notpm
303164  off     off     1803
303165  on      on      1847
303166  on      off     1860
303167  off     on      1801
303168  off     off     1838
303169  on      on      1821
303170  on      off     1846

(again, check all results at http://www.testing.osdl.org/stp/######/ )

The differences above are small enough to be in the "noise" factor of DBT2
execution.   The good news is that it appears that stuff which has been
done since July has lessened the penalty for checkpoints somewhat; while
the maximum response time is still better on the full_page_writes=off
systems, the average throughput is no longer substantially different.
Either that, or full_page_writes=off isn't working properly anymore.

If anyone has suggestions on different tests to run, or better stats to
compile, please speak up.

Now, the bad news: the STP has had some failures and is down to *one*
usable machine for testing.  I have, like, 160 performance tests backed up
which are never going to get run before we release 8.1.  I'm going to be
hitting up some major PostgreSQL sponsors for hardware donations, any help
is welcome.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/