PCTFree Results

От Josh Berkus
Тема PCTFree Results
Дата
Re: PCTFree Results  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: PCTFree Results  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Folks,

Well, it took a while but I finally have the results of Satoshi's PCTFree
patch back from the STP.  Bad news about the STP, see below ...

Anyway, a series of DBT2 runs doesn't seem to show any advantage to PCTFree
over a 3-hour run with no vacuums:

test#    pctfree    full_page_writes    notpm
303164    off    off    1803
303165    on    on    1847
303166    on    off    1860
303167    off    on    1801
303168    off    off    1838
303169    on    on    1821
303170    on    off    1846

(again, check all results at http://www.testing.osdl.org/stp/######/)

The differences above are small enough to be in the "noise" factor of DBT2
execution.   The good news is that it appears that stuff which has been
done since July has lessened the penalty for checkpoints somewhat; while
the maximum response time is still better on the full_page_writes=off
systems, the average throughput is no longer substantially different.
Either that, or full_page_writes=off isn't working properly anymore.

If anyone has suggestions on different tests to run, or better stats to
compile, please speak up.

Now, the bad news: the STP has had some failures and is down to *one*
usable machine for testing.  I have, like, 160 performance tests backed up
which are never going to get run before we release 8.1.  I'm going to be
hitting up some major PostgreSQL sponsors for hardware donations, any help
is welcome.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus