Re: [GENERAL] GIS/GPS Experiences with pgsql?

От Julian Scarfe
Тема Re: [GENERAL] GIS/GPS Experiences with pgsql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bryan Mattern wrote:

> I'm working on a personal project to develop some sort of GPS software
> for Linux.  I was talking with a friend the other day and he let me
> borrow a "TIGER/Line CD" (!1990!) from the US Bureau of the Census.  I
> know the data is old, but I just wanted to test it with PostgreSQL.  I
> don't know all that much about GIS maps, there might be a better source
> I don't know about, but the data seems pretty easy to rip apart and
> pitch into PostgreSQL.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?  If so, is there any info on the
> web?  I checked the old mailing list archives, but they were not much
> help.

I'm trying to do something similar with Digital Chart of the World, which is
in VPF format (binary not ASCII). The biggest problem that I've come across is
that some of the edges (lines) are > 8K, so I'll have to store them as blobs
rather than in tuples as arrays.  I'm still learning about blobs...

I'm happy to compare notes with anyone doing similar stuff.
--

Julian Scarfe