Re: [HACKERS] cannot cast bpchar and varchar

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] cannot cast bpchar and varchar
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It seems that casting varchar and bpchar does not work.

Hmmm. It seems to be a combination of two problems:

1) not knowing which type should be preferred (or how to compare varchar
and bpchar; should I strip the blank padding from a bpchar? Probably
so...).

2) swallowing the type coersions since bpchar, varchar, and text are
considered to be binary compatible. I may have seen another instance of
this being a problem, and perhaps should figure out how to propagate the
new coerced type into the query rather than dropping it.

Will look at this. Question: how *should* we compare bpchar and varchar?
It may be that we should have some explicit comparison or coersion
routines to make things work smoothly.

Thanks for the report.
                   - Tom