Re: [HACKERS] Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0

От Thomas Reinke
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I may be dating myself really badly here, but isn't there a hard limit
on
the file system at 2Gig? I thought the file size attribute in Unix is
represented as a 32 bit signed long, which happens to be a max value
of 2147483648. If I'm right, it means the problem is fundamentally
with the file system, not with PostGres, and you won't solve this
unless the os supports larger files.

gjerde@icebox.org wrote:

> Hi,
> I saw a message a couple of weeks ago from someone having problems with
> larger than 2GB tables.  I have similar problems.
>
> PostgreSQL: anon-cvs as of today (2/5/1999)
> OS: Redhat Linux 5.2 (running 2.0.35)
>
> I created a database called mcrl, and a table called mcrl3_1.
> I copied in a set of 450MB of data twice(which comes to pg file size of
> 2.4GB or so).
>
> When it hit 2GB I got this message:
>   mcrl=> copy mcrl3_1 FROM '/home/gjerde/mcrl/MCR3_1.txt';
>   ERROR:  mcrl3_1: cannot extend
>
> The table file looks like this:
> [postgres@snowman mcrl]$ ls -l mcrl*
> -rw-------   1 postgres postgres 2147482624 Feb  5 16:49 mcrl3_1
>
> It did NOT create the .1 file however, which I did see when I tried this
> on 6.4.2(but still didn't work).
>
> I looked around in the code(specifically src/backend/storage/smgr/*.c),
> but couldn't figure too much of it out.  I'll have to figure out how
> postgres handles the database files first..
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ole Gjerde

Thomas Reinke                            Tel: (416) 460-7021
Director of Technology                   Fax: (416) 598-2319
E-Soft Inc.                         http://www.e-softinc.com