Re: [HACKERS] Patch (was: tough locale bug)

От Goran Thyni
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Patch (was: tough locale bug)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Thomas G. Lockhart" wrote:

> >   #ifdef USE_LOCALE
> > !       if ((int)arg2[len2 - 1] != -1)
>
> Sorry, I'm not as familiar with the LOCALE code as I should be. Why are
> we testing explicitly for -1? Is there something special about a
> character with all bits set in typical locale support code?
>
> Regards.
>
>                         - Tom

It looks a bit cryptic yes, but it is not specific to locale.
The planner appends a "(char) -1" (or alt syntax '\xFF') to
the teststring in some cases of "<=" on text (f.ex in "txt ~ '^G'").
This works OK with strncmp which compare char by char as unsigned ints,
but locale uses lookup-tables where '\FF' not is guanteed to be
greater or equal to any other unsigned 8-bit character.

Therefore I did a fallback to strncmp (instead of locale aware strcoll)
for this special case.
It is not the perfect solution and may break in a few cases, but as it
is now
it breaks most usage of LIKE and ~ when locale is enabled.

If we could in a portable way to find the last usable character in the
used charset it would be nice, but I have not found any way to do that.
regards,
Göran Thyni, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna
This is Penguin Country. On a quiet night you can hear Windows NT
reboot!