Error in creating the database

От Senthil Kumar Narayanasamy
Тема Error in creating the database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi folks,
    I tried to install postgresql V6.4.2 in Irix IRIX6.4 sgi Onyx
machine, I have managed to compile with
lots and lots of warning.

I have the following problem,

    There is no user called postgres in the system all binaries are
installed in my user space
these are the environment variables

PGLIB=/d1/senthil/pgsql/lib
PGDATA=/d1/senthil/pgsql/data
HOME=/d1/senthil

the data directory is initially empty there are no files not even
pg_hba.conf as mentioned in the manual

when I try to initialize the database with initdb I get the following
error and dumps core.

Should I have seperate postgres account ? please help

senthil

senthil@maya(2:20pm)>initdb

We are initializing the database system with username senthil
(uid=18965).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

Creating Postgres database system directory /d1/senthil/pgsql/data/base

Creating template database in /d1/senthil/pgsql/data/base/template1
/d1/senthil/pgsql/bin/initdb[326]: 16272 Memory fault(coredump)
initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /d1/senthil/pgsql/data/base/template1