pg_id et al: getpwnam returns 0

От Charles Neveu
Тема pg_id et al: getpwnam returns 0
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I think this is a system configuration problem, because this used to
work, and now it doesn't, but my sys admin pleads innocence, or at least
ignorance:

I'm running into a brick wall running postgres 6.4.2, 6.4, or 6.3.2 on
Silicon Graphics IRIX 6.[4,5], using SGI cc v7.2, either -o32 or -n32:

The problem is that getpwnam (first called in pg_id as part of initdb in
the installation process) only returns information from the /etc/passwd
file, not the yp database where user postgres lives.

Things I've checked:
/etc/passwd has the following as it's last line:
+::-2:-2:::

The cvd debugger shows that
_getpwent_no_yp, == _getpwent_no_shadow == 0
changing their values doesn't fix the problem.

There is no /etc/shadow file.

I've try working around it (e.g. compiling with -DNO_SECURITY, recoding
around getpwnam) but it leads to problems down the line, and I don't
want to be hacking multiple postgres source files. I think this is a
system problem anyway, because I've been able to run postgres before.

--
Dr. Charles Frederick Neveu    T: 650 604-2525
Intelligent Mechanisms Group    F: 650 604-4036