Re: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Microsoft SQL Server v6.5 have SQL92 join syntax.  I don't have the
> standard in front of me but here's what I remember.

OK, it's pretty clear that Oracle doesn't implement SQL92-syntax on
outer joins (unless they support it as an alternative; does anyone find
"OUTER JOIN" in the syntax docs?).

Let's assume that M$ may be close to standard, but given that they don't
bother following standards in other areas (WHERE x = NULL, etc) we can't
use them as a truth generator.

We are looking for a system which supports syntax like DeJuan gave:

SELECT * FROM (A LEFT OUTER JOIN B USING (X));
or
SELECT * FROM (A LEFT OUTER JOIN B ON (A.X = B.X));

etc. if we are going to try for the SQL92 standard,

rather than the Oracle form:

SELECT * FROM A, B WHERE A.X = (+) B.X;

or the Informix form:

SELECT * FROM A, OUTER B WHERE A.X = B.X; (is the WHERE clause required here?)

Does anyone have a non-M$ RDBMS which implements SQL92 joins?

otoh, any system which can test the results of a query, even if the
query needs to be translated first, has some benefit. As/if I progress
I'll take some of you up on the offer to run queries.
                    - Tom

Сообщение: RE: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] JOIN syntax. Examples?