Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Список pgsql-hackers
>     Let's  all calm down and release. There are end users waiting
>     for the capabilities of 6.4. They don't care  about  how  the
>     shared libs are used as long as it's easy to use them.

Don't panic Jan! I took up the discussion because Matthew seemed to have
strong opinions on a subject that afaik is not an issue really. So I was
hoping to learn more about the fine points, and I think I have.

It looks like there may be pros and cons to each method, but for me the
"old style" of using ld.conf.so allows some independence between apps
and library location that -rpath/-R may not.

I would expect that, as Jan suggests, it is best to leave the choice to
the installer.

Anyway, if Matthew wants to write up the way one would put an entry for
LDFLAGS or LDFLAGS_SO or ?? in a Makefile.custom to get the behavior he
is advocating I would be happy to include it in the Admin/installation
docs as an installation tip or alternative.

Matthew?

                     - Tom