Re: on patch for close_ps() func. in geo_ops.c

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: on patch for close_ps() func. in geo_ops.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Being a new comer to postgres hacking I am afraid
> I did not test enough with regards to the previous patch I had sent
> that attempted to fix the "##" operator for point to a line segment.
> My changes fixed the problems I had seen, but the
> regression for geometry now fails with the error:
>
> regression=> SELECT '' AS thirty, p.f1, l.s, p.f1 ## l.s AS closest
> regression->    FROM LSEG_TBL l, POINT_TBL p;
> PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the
> channel before responding.
>
> Clearly I have to do more testing and fixing. I will do so, do the
> regression tests etc. before claiming to fix anything. Sorry about
> this folks, I am new to this and apologize for my mistakes.

Everyone is or was new to Postgres development at one time or another.
We have several months until the next release to work through the fixes
and features you want to add, so there is no problem with this.

As you gain experience with developing patches and fixes for Postgres,
you will hopefully find ways to test and submit the patches in the most
reliable manner, but _we all_ have had to go through that learning
period (well, OK, we are all still learning about that :)

Anyway, don't get discouraged. Let me know when you have some more
patches/fixes to apply, and I can help test them and package them for
the source tree.

The only unsuccessful code developers are the ones who submit a patch
and then walk away; stick with the problem and you'll be making a very
valuable contribution. I'll help where you need it.

Talk to you soon, and we're looking forward to more patches...

                      - Tom