Re: [HACKERS] postgres/alpha problems

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] postgres/alpha problems
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
ocie@paracel.com wrote:

> Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > a "#" to the defaultdate parameter line will give you the usual behavior of
> > picking up the latest version of the tree.
> >
> >                                                   - Tom
> >

> > # This file represents the standard CVSup distribution file
> > # for the PostgreSQL ORDBMS project
> > # Modified by lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu 1997-08-28
> > # - Point to my local snapshot source tree
> > #
> > # Defaults that apply to all the collections
> > *default host=postgresql.org
> > *default compress
> > *default release=cvs
> > *default delete use-rel-suffix
> > *default tag=.
> > *default date=98.01.20.00.00.00
> >
> > # base directory points to where CVSup will store its 'bookmarks' file(s)
> > *default base=/opt/postgres/oldtree # /usr/local/pgsql
> >
> > # prefix directory points to where CVSup will store the actual
> > distribution(s)
> > *default prefix=/opt/postgres/oldtree # /usr/local/pgsql
> >
> > # complete distribution, including all below
> > pgsql
> >
> > # individual distributions vs 'the whole thing'
> > # pgsql-doc
> > # pgsql-perl5
> > # pgsql-src
>
> I am trying to get this working under Linux and behind a firewall.  Do
> you know of any cvsup documentation that might tell me how to set this
> up?  Or do you know how to set this up offhand?

afaik, the only thing you need to do is to install the CVSup client (I had
posted a static binary for linux; a dynamic binary would require the Modula-3
libraries and I wasn't sure how to link a partial dynamic binary with those
included).

Then, modify your configuration file (as was done in my example above) to point
to the right places on your system. Only the base directory needs to exist for
this to work (e.g. "/opt/postgres/oldtree") and CVSup will create the rest. To
execute CVSup, type

  cvsup -L 2 postgres.cvsup

where "postgres.cvsup" is the name of your configuration file. The "-L 2" is a
verbosity setting. For my system, I include a path name in front of the
configuration file name, and have the whole thing aliased to a command "pgget",
so just typing that does the update from postgresql.org.

Building CVSup from scratch is not trivial, since Modula-3 must be installed
(~200MB to install, ~50MB installed) and then CVSup must be built, working
around some BSD-specific makefiles. Don't know if anyone has built a glibc2
version for us, or whether it is even necessary.

Good luck.

                                                        - Tom