Re: [HACKERS] Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Linux Journal article on PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Got my Linux Journal today and the first featured article is entitled
> >
> >   "PostgreSQL - The Linux of Databases"
> >
> > Now scrappy, before you get bent out of joint, they mean this in a nice
> > way ;-)
>
>         *rofl*  Is it available anywhere on the 'Net?

I'm not certain, but since it _is_ a magazine I think they want you to buy a
copy. Let me know if you can't find it on a newstand or in a computer store
(~$3US) and I'll try to find one here. Also, some articles do get republished
a month or more later by Linux Gazette, which is available on line.

> > It runs through examples from src/tutorial and also calls out sequences,
> > triggers, defaults, constraints, and (I noticed this one :) the
> > date/time features as being helpful and noteworthy. Of the 5 items
> > mentioned as missing from the SQL capabilities, at least one (primary
> > key) and perhaps two (subselects) will be available in v6.3.
>
>         As I think I mentioned to just Bruce the other day, I think that
> v6.3 is going to be our biggest "jump forward" yet...there are *sooo* many
> advances going into her...

I agree wrt user-visible features. I'd think that maybe the most important
single step was the work y'all did a while ago to settle down the backend and
get the crashes out since it gives us a reliable base to work from. btw, the
factual error in the magazine which annoyed me the most is the statement
that:

"PostgreSQL is now developed by a couple of volunteers, who coordinate their
efforts via the Internet."

which vastly understates the wide range of contributions. I wonder if he was
thinking of both Marc and scrappy :) Oh well...

                                                    - Tom

Сообщение: Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)
Сообщение: Re: [QUESTIONS] Arrays (inserting and removing)