Re: Error messages/logging (Was: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/backend/parser gram.y parse_oper.c')

От Vadim B. Mikheev
Тема Re: Error messages/logging (Was: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/backend/parser gram.y parse_oper.c')
Дата
Ответ на Re: Error messages/logging (Was: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/backend/parser gram.y parse_oper.c')  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > > No, for me. Do Informix, Oracle, etc use two words ?
> > > What benefit of special "in-parser-error" word for user - in any case
> > > user will read error message itself to understand what caused error.
> >
> > OK, if no one likes my idea in the next day, I will make them all ERROR.
>
> Well, _I_ like your idea. Seems like we can distinguish between operator error
> (which the operator can fix) and internal problems, and we could flag them
> differently. Perhaps there are so many grey areas that this becomes difficult to
> do??

All adt/*.c are "grey areas":

insert into X (an_int2_field) values (9999999999);

should cause ERROR message, but

insert into X (an_int2_field) select an_int4_field from Y;

should return ABORT message if value of some an_int4_field in Y is
greater than 32768.

Vadim