Re: Deprecating postfix and factorial operators in PostgreSQL 13

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Deprecating postfix and factorial operators in PostgreSQL 13
Дата
Re: Deprecating postfix and factorial operators in PostgreSQL 13  (Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> So, in this version, there are six copies of the deprecation notice
> John wrote, rather than just one. Maybe we need more than one, but I
> doubt we need six. I don't think the CREATE OPERATOR documentation
> needs to mention this both when first introducing the concept and then
> again when defining right_type; the former seems sufficient. I don't
> think xoper.sgml needs these changes either; they interrupt the flow
> of the narrative and I don't think this is where anyone would look for
> a deprecation notice. I would also argue for dropping the mentions in
> the docs for ALTER OPERATOR FAMILY and CREATE OPERATOR CLASS, although
> those seem less clear-cut. Really, CREATE OPERATOR where John had it
> originally seems like the right place.

Yeah, I agree that there are way too many copies here.  CREATE OPERATOR
seems sufficient.  It also seems like we should just rewrite the typeconv
and drop_operator examples to use some other operator.  We'll have
to do that eventually anyway, so why not now, instead of visiting those
places twice?